Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-22-2024, 06:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Biden is, at best, a cafeteria Catholic.  If you believe that a fetus is a human life, which the vast majority of Catholics do, then yes, abortion is murdering an innocent baby.  You don't have to agree, but your agreement isn't required either.  If only you strove to defend Catholicism with a tenth of the vigor you devote to Islam.
Yes, in his opinion.  I don't see having an opinion as denigration.
Yeah, again, his opinion.

?? I've defended Islam, the religion, somewhere?? and with "vigor"?? Or do you just mean I've defended Muslims against bigotry?
Don't care what kind of Catholic Biden is or whether his beliefs align with "the majority of Catholics."

I posted because you said "The man stated his opinion and didn't denigrate anyone else."  

He clearly did just that. Having an opinion is "denigration" if it defames, devalues and belittles someone.

If someone opined "all black people are lazy," who would defend him by saying "Well no, that was just an opinion. Having one can't denigrate anyone."

(05-22-2024, 06:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Speaking of lanes, SOMEONE is deluding young women with "lies" about their true calling--marriage and children.
And young men as well. They need to reassert their masculinity to take control of the culture.

Without women having children none of us would be here.  My mother was a rabid feminist and also a homemaker.  And, again, this is all his opinion.

??? The claim was that marriage and children are a woman's true calling; men need to assert their masculinity to take control of the culture. 

Do you agree with that? 

(05-22-2024, 06:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can see why people who have constantly pushed against patriarchy to realize women's equality might take offense at some of this.
And why many on right would have no problem with a message of essential gender inequality.

Take offense to it all day, it's one man's opinion.  I hear horrifyingly offensive things all the time, I don't feel the need to go into a tailspin over it.  The man believes in a traditional Christian family structure.  He's hardly alone.  Wanting him to lose his job over it is inane.  You disagree with him, fine.  Who cares.

There are quite a few things you DO go into a tailspin over. Why take the time to express your feeling in this case if you don't?
I don't believe I called for him to be fired. And knock against him is not that he's "alone" in what he believes.

I'm "hardly alone" when I disagree that marriage and children are a woman's true calling and men need to assert their masculinity
to take control of the culture, but the appeal to numbers generally doesn't secure value judgments. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Dill - 05-22-2024, 07:47 PM