Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-23-2024, 11:47 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, I would say that's because there are different motivations. As ugly as some extreme slogans from protesters are, these are not mainstream positions. Butker hit a totally different nerve. Some of the things he said can be interpreted as argueing for treating the genders differently and that the male gender might still be the one destined for greater things, like creating the culture and such. And many people have a problem with that and I can understand why. The times where a majority of females were oppressed, denied opportunity and pressured in a role of a husband's dependant are not that far gone, and it were thoughts like the one Butker formulated that contributed to the underlying worldview.

That's not to say I support silencing him or him being kicked off the Chiefs team, certainly not, but I get the sensitivities here.

One can interpret it as one chooses.  I don't agree about the silence on protestors being ignored because they are not mainstream.  Yesterday's extreme position can easily become tomorrow's norm.  One need look not further than gay rights.  Note I mean extreme in terms of how they differ from the current norm, not extreme in the sense of morally outrageous.

Butker is arguing for more traditional gender roles and a nuclear family.  He is encouraging it, not dictating and enforcing it.  It's his opinion.  He also is against Catholics who diverge from the church's tenants due to "modernizing" their faith.  Again, he is encouraging this, not dictating it.  Louis Farrakhan says far worse things in every speech, you never hear about him and in fact some Dem politicians count themselves as a supporter.  The man literally said about Jews, "When God puts you in the oven, it's forever."  So, yes I find the outrage over this speech to be ridiculous. 

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-23-2024, 11:57 AM