Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-23-2024, 12:09 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh yeah, it probably is, objectively worse things are said every day, I agree with that. I just don't know how much I can blame people for engaging in an issue that becomes a media phenomena and is served to you everywhere. Why did I read the Butker speech in the first place and know nothing about Mr. Farrakhan, it's because that is what's been put on the plate of my attention and there's only so much control I have over that. And after it was there, I too thought, well that speech probably does not sit well with quite some people, even on the level of mere encouragement. And that was all what I was saying, that I can understand why it does not sit that well. I grant you the point on proportionality, I will just say that this point probably can be made about pretty much anything. Whatever you're annoyed or outraged about, there's probably plenty even worse going on you ignore or do not mention and I almost certainly can always find something. It's a bit of a knockout argument to make.

Maybe it's just because I remember a time when people would hear something they don't agree with, would express that they don't agree and then move on with their lives.  There used to be speakers in the quad area of my college that I found ridiculous, the Black Israelites for example.  People would just walk past them.  No pearl clutching, no frothing response, just walk past them.  You're not wrong that the media feeds us what they want us to be upset about, and obscures what they don't want discussed.  Maybe adult humans can express a little autonomy though and not simply a Pavlovian puppet?

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-23-2024, 12:17 PM