Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-23-2024, 12:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm discussing consistency and proportionality.  It strikes me as odd that a person can take such issue over Butker's speech while remaining silent while someone yells death to America or some of the blatantly antisemitic chants and slogans that have occurred at these protests (no, not the majority, but sadly not rare).

I mean, these are just two different topics, imho that's the main reason. What is there to say about death to america chants at rallies. Hardly anyone likes that and I guess for most people it's blatantly obvious that these are idiotic screams from an idiotic fringe. At what point does your argument turn into claiming no one should bother about anything else as long as these people are screaming. Some right wing extremists scream Jews will not replace us, can we still be mad about unrelated things?

(05-23-2024, 12:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You already see the disproportion in these issues, which makes it surprising you're not grasping my point.  How can you exercise you ability to ignore speech you don't like (I would certainly hope no one here likes that type of speech) for a more extreme example and not for this topic?

Well, my guess would be that the Butker speech just hits a bit closer to home for many people. Eg for a woman who was confronted with a potential dark side of traditional family values, meaning the tradition that women are subservient to men and disallowed from having own ambitions outside the family, or at least saw their mother being confronted with that, that does not vanish from people's consciousness over just a generation or two. I feel that might be a point, the other one still being that I guess for most people it indeed goes without much saying that death to america chants are not endorsed or appreciated. I mean, as you said, probably no one likes that kind of speech and it probably indeed goes without saying, doesn't it. The same maybe is not true for the issues Butker addresses.

(05-23-2024, 12:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I will support someone's right to say those things, in this country you absolutely have that right.  But if your moral outrage is going to carry any weight it needs to be consistent, no?  

Yeah, to make the same kind of judgment I would need a person that tells me flat out how he finds antisemitism or death to America chants to be less outlandish on its own than Butker's speech. I guess most people would say that the chants in question are more appalling, but maybe less relevant or important. Be they right about that or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - hollodero - 05-23-2024, 01:16 PM