Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-23-2024, 11:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah I implicitly admitted that my search was not very thorough, I soon just assumed that you didn't make it up and it is happening. Just, the fact that I could not find anything on a quick glance kind of also made me assume it's not that big of a culture phenomena to be all that important. And that's just my point, that people just might be more troubled, more personally affected about what Butker said versus what some palestina-supporting students shout. I mean, who are you, or I for that matter, to set their priorities straight for them, it seems a bit presumptuous. When ilhan Omar starts shouting Death to America, then yeah, I agree it's an issue that demands a clear and immediate condemnation. But for something still as fringe as that, that is obviously just stupid? And even if you say "isn't it obvious" doesn't count, it still just is and it counts for most people. Btw. I admit congresspeople possibly should make a statement, I'm not trying to defend the whole liberal world here. Just the common folk.

And that's fair.  I've said many times that I don't hold these types up as representative of the whole in regard to these protests.  What does trouble me is the lack of condemnation and distancing from those people.  It's not the sentiment of the majority, but they aren't expending any real energy separating those people from them either.

Quote:You yourself, of course, also deploy selective outrage by my definition, and you're not coy about it at all. I mean all the stuff you say or don't say with the mindset of "the board leans liberal anyway". Which probably is more like a "I do not like liberals very much" really, but it doesn't matter. Just, if you would treat Luvnit with the same scrutiny as you treat Dino, you'd have to be all over him for plenty of stuff all the time, but you choose to do so very sparingly instead. When Dino or Dill say something you don't approve of, oh boy that's a party. I don't even need to call this inconsistent, for the definition of the word does that for me. And it's deliberate, you have your reasons and it's fine too. Even when it leads to you being silent about posts moaning the fact that Trump's attempts to overthrow the election were unsuccessful while you're bickering with liberals over the earth-shattering topic of how their outrage over Butker is disproportionate. It's obvious enough for me that you don't agree with the election statement none the less, mainly because, well, it's obvious and I don't deem silence to be complicity. But your outrage sure is selective like that too, at least by my standards. As, btw., is mine, so it's not like this is criticism of the fact itself. Only criticism would be that it seems you don't quite recognize it, but that's normal enough too.

And yeah, that post is brought to you by some insomnia, so it's possibly a tad more unhinged than would be appropriate. Tired hollo don't care.

I'm going to blow your mind here, at least in part.  You are absolutely correct that I call Luvnit out far less than the posters you mentioned.  This is not, however, due to selective outrage.  It's because Luvnit already has a legion of people who flock to his threads to point out his logical fallacies, clear biases and contradictions.  I don't think dogpiling on something that's already being addressed by multiple people is at all necessary.  But, as you point out, I do occasionally call out a post of his if he says something that hasn't been addressed by others or just struck me as especially needing a response.  

The people I respond to do not have that, and in fact have the opposite.  They all reinforce and defend each other even when demonstrably wrong.  Can you recall a post from one of them disagreeing with the other?  Ever, even one?  Dill went so far as to defend Fred to the hilt, and Fred was one of the most egregious actors this board has ever seen.  But if you think the way they do, if you squabble with me, then they will defend you to death.  You may disagree, although I believe you've noticed this too. And I'm not looking for a public confirmation from you, it isn't necessary.  But that's why I can be perceived in engaging in "selective outrage".  I'm sure opinions of others will differ on this, but that's the truth.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-24-2024, 02:03 PM