Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-24-2024, 02:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And that's fair.  I've said many times that I don't hold these types up as representative of the whole in regard to these protests.  What does trouble me is the lack of condemnation and distancing from those people.  It's not the sentiment of the majority, but they aren't expending any real energy separating those people from them either.

So, just like moderate conservatives handle MAG... oh damn, that is whataboutism. Strike that from the record.
Nah, of course I can state it again, left leaning folks often seem to have a hard time calling out their own. I basically see it the same way, difference being that I lay more blame on Trump and your broke ass two party system, to borrow a phrase from Nati, then you do. Nuances.

(05-24-2024, 02:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm going to blow your mind here, at least in part.  You are absolutely correct that I call Luvnit out far less than the posters you mentioned.  This is not, however, due to selective outrage.

Mind blown... stating the obvious :) And what you call not selective, to me, still reads like you giving the reasons for the selection you deliberately make, but I don't want to turn this into a semantics debate. As I said, I select by my own criteria too and it's no criticism of the "fact" itself, even when I don't find all your reasons all that good, what gives. It's just, when you then tell other people how they misprioritize their outrage, especially coupled with the demand they'd be more outraged over a left-side-issue then the right-side-issue that is Butker and his deadly sin of pride rhetorics, this runs into problems. For there's just the obvious counter, which is claiming that you do pretty much the same thing and the horse you sit on is not quite as high as you acclaim it to be.

And it's quite apparent what your number one selection criteria for your outrage is, it's whether you can steer your outrage against liberals, especially against your few favorite ones. You do it again here, and my answer to your according queestion can only be that I neither know nor care whether Dill and Dino ever disagreed on things or unrightfully defended Fred on stuff. Maybe you're right, they might be wrong or out-argued at times and don't admit it (I think so - on occasion), but you also do your best to make it quite hard for them to ever make such an admission; due to your very confrontational manners, that amongst other things include namecalling, low blows, deliberately misunderstanding points or mislabeling positions, an overall disparaging tone and making it personal. It's near impossible for them to concede an argument without losing face under these circumstances. Which is a perfect tactic if you just want to argue and disagree and vent, but of course a very lousy strategy if you really want to reach a constructive outcome.

(05-24-2024, 02:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: But if you think the way they do, if you squabble with me, then they will defend you to death.  You may disagree, although I believe you've noticed this too. And I'm not looking for a public confirmation from you, it isn't necessary.

No I think you're right, and they really don't like you much. I just think that's not solely on them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - hollodero - 05-25-2024, 04:22 AM