Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
I was thinking about the hubbub with Butker yesterday when I also heard a story on the news that kind of pulled it together for me.

I'm in my 50's.  In my lifetime women could not get a credit card without a man signing for it (Husband, brother, father). In fact this year (2024) is the 50th anniversary of that changing.

Around that same time birth control for women became legal and accessible in all 50 states.

No fault divorces, created in 1969 by California Governor Reagan, wasn't legal in all 50 states until 2010.

And of course abortion which has now been kicked back to the states...where it has been supported on every ballot so far.

But there is a strong movement in this country...in 2024...to remove some of those legal rights.

Some states are looking to get rid of no fault divorces.

The SC is looking at birth control.

Women are seeing a segment of society, and elected officials, look to take more control over their private lives.  Usually in the interest of "family values".

So one can understand how people could be upset that a person given a platform like Butker gave a speech suggesting that what would REALLY make the female graduates happy is to get married, have children and let men decide what is best for them and everyone else.

Again, and as I stated in my first post, I understand where he was speaking and to whom.  All of those students probably had to take a set number of religious credits just like I did.  And the school probably offered a class in marriage like mine did.

The Catholic Church (in general, but a majority of its leaders and followers) still wants it to be pre-all those fancy rights given to women.  Catholic women who attend a Catholic college know that.  They would not be offended (in general) even if some do not wish to follow the "traditional" path of marriage and children.

But for anyone to say that people should have just ignored it is in fact ignoring themselves that culturally we have changed as a nation over the last half century and in the current political climate those who want to keep those changes will react to such a speech because they see it as yet more proof that there is a move to push women back 50 years.

Just a few thoughts that I could probably flesh out better if I took the time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - GMDino - 05-25-2024, 07:44 AM