Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-28-2024, 01:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, but he's encouraging women to be trad wives, as well as applauding career minded women. He can't support both, he's gotta be lying to one of those groups...

Regardless of the what the kicker in KC says, the trad wife talking point gets incredibly old.  

I'd imagine most families would really appreciate the privilege of allowing a parent, a wife perhaps, perhaps not, to stay home and raise children full time.  It would save at shitload in childcare and simultaneously make time for more family activity when everyone is home together.  

Unfortunately, it's just not economically feasible for the majority of people.  One breadwinner providing for a spouse and multiple children is probably getting into 200K per year territory.  I know people who make that much, but not many.  If a lifestyle is going to be viable enough to solve an issue perceived as cumulative, then the lifestyle by definition needs to be feasible for more than just the upper class.  To boot, many of my more financially well-off friends are that way precisely because they avoided things like wives and kids.

I get the argument.  I even agree with a lack of traditional parenting being a big problem in American society.  My disagreement with the conservative use of trad wives as a rallying point is that most people lack the opportunity to live that lifestyle, not the desire.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - samhain - 05-28-2024, 05:43 PM