Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-29-2024, 05:51 PM)pally Wrote: The point is I don't want him to lose his job for what he said. He is entitled to his opinion, just as I have the right to disagree with him.  He should only lose his job for incompetence.  And if his incompetence costs a rival of my favorite team victories I'm all for that. 

And we should wonder, why don't people like Butket ever talk to men about their lives, responsibilities, and what they need to do for "fulfillment"?  I can assure you that single parenthood is not all the woman fault but it seems like far too many men seem to think it is.

Actually they do, and so did Butket.  He said men need to step up and fill in power vacuums where there is a lack of order. Not women, men. 

Interesting how the quickly the forum lines up left/right on gender rights. 

Now you have to fight to be taken seriously by people who don't see sexism or inequality anywhere in Butker's speech, 
but have only the highest respect for women.

(05-29-2024, 05:51 PM)pally Wrote: We have at least 2 judges on the Supreme Court who think like Butker do.  All Americans should ALWAYS be on guard for any situation that leads to hard-won rights being taken away.

Sounds good. But it's always complicated when some people don't really value those rights--or feel threatened by them. 

In the case of women's rights, going back to the early battle for suffrage, women were also prominent opponents.  That's a contrast with struggle
for rights of racial minorities, who experienced few perks from segregation. 

Now we're in a time when, after so many rights have been won and "normalized," young women take them for granted, and even dissociate
them from the feminists who won those rights.  Since the 70s there have been women who praise women's "independence" and "strength" 
and readiness to speak their mind, while simultaneously arguing that in marriage, the man is boss and women go against their nature when they pursue careers. 

The Trump court and Butker's speech suggests that the struggle is far from over. Women who go against the "traditional" role are still 
assumed to have some kind of personal problem or flaw which explains their non conformity.  Women who push for women's rights are '
the ones really demeaning women,* while defenders of inequality praise women to the heavens as "indispensable" partners in their support role. 

*"real" sexism?; maybe a structural analogue to "real" racism, as our friends on the Right often term efforts to combat systemic racism. The people who identify and address the violations of rights are flipped in right wing rhetoric to become themselves the origin of the problem. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Dill - 05-29-2024, 11:05 PM