Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Tee is now the only tagged player without a new deal
(05-29-2024, 11:20 PM)kevin Wrote: This site hasn't mentioned it, but google up Tee Higgins and most of the NFL is talking about it today.  Chase and Higgins missing from start of Bengals OTA's this week.  Many reports are that Higgins has no plans of ever putting on a Bengals uniform again, and he demands traded.  That isn't me, that is most news sources on this.  

Here is the problem. Bengals have to resign Chase this summer long term, because Chase is one of the premier WR's in NFL.  Bengals can't afford to let Chase be a free agent after this season. Resigning Chase is going to take Big Bucks.   So here you have Higgins who is a top #2 WR who wants to be paid as a #1 WR long term. The Bengals can't sign both Chase and Higgins long term to #1 WR paid contracts. Plus Bengals just shelled out huge money for Joe Burrow long term.

The Bengals did draft a WR early and other WR's stepped up for Bengals last season. The Bengals have not offered Higgins a long term #1 WR paid contract, and Higgins has said he won't play without a long term #1 WR paid contract.

So the NFL story is Tee Higgins drama continues.  

Bengals had Carson Palmer refuse to play, and Bengals were willing to let Palmer sit out and not get paid. However The Raiders stepped up and made Bengals an offer they could not refuse.  I think the Raiders QB got injured early in the season, and there sat Carson Palmer ready to go get. I'm not sure any team offers that much for Higgins at this point.  What I've read in past months is that if Higgins plays, he gets paid a ton as a Franchise Tag WR.  He probably gets paid too much if Bengals need to resign Chase this summer at a huge price.  If Higgins doesn't play, he doesn't get paid, and when Higgins goes free agent to another team in 2025, the Bengals get a 3rd round comp pick anyway.

It looks like Bengals are in the position that to resign Chase long term, it's probably better if Higgins sits out and doesn't get paid.  However that makes using the Franchise Tag on him at such a high price kind of stupid. It's not good for Higgins or Bengals and this use or abuse of the franchise tag is something The Players Union and The NFL need to change.

So as it is now, per most of The NFL.  Don't count on ever seeing Higgins in a Bengals uniform again, and the news story is, " Tee Higgins Drama Continues ".  There is not that much concern about Chase not at OTA's, although Bengals better be resigning Chase this summer, since Bengals policy has always been no contract negotiations once season starts.  The concern in NFL is Tee Higgins demanding traded not at Bengals OTA's.  

Now, I'd just as soon none of this was happening, and I didn't have to bring it up.  The fact remains that the top NFL story today is how Bengals drama over Tee Higgins continues.  Higgins is a no show, just as he said after he was upset Bengals shackled him with the franchise tag before free agency started.

There, now you can all get mad at me for posting what the entire NFL is talking about.  I would just as soon wish none of this was happening, and the only thing Bengals had to do this summer is get ready to play The Patriots.  I also wish there was a way to post this in a 7 word or less sound bite as many of you request, but this Higgins story is too complicated to sum up in a short sound bite.

Some recent Tee Higgins news:
https://www.sbnation.com/2024/5/30/24167890/tee-higgins-refuse-franchise-tag-holdout-tender-cincinnati-bengals-contract-extension
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-bengals-wide-receiver-tee-higgins-currently-ineligible-to-be-with-team/ar-BB1ndDXn?ocid=weather-verthp-feeds

5 words. 2 clicks.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tee is now the only tagged player without a new deal - rfaulk34 - 05-30-2024, 02:40 PM