Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-30-2024, 03:36 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Dill Wrote:[url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Harrison-Butker-Commencement-Address-2024?pid=1484151#pid1484151][/url]Sure I'm a parent. No idea what you think you need to explain to me about parenting. 
Or why.  Our disagreement is over your claim Butker wasn't "knocking either choice."  
But you seem to agree with me now, since one "choice" is based on "diabolical lies."
 That's kind of a knock, isn't it? 

First: That's his opinion and you have YOURs (neither is a fact), my opinion, is he wasn't. We are going to have to agree to disagree cause I don't want to spend 5 pages on something that is opinion based. 

O-mike, you're a good guy whom I enjoy discussing issues with. Please don't take it amiss if I use a separate post here to make a methodological point.
Ours is not really a disagreement about "opinions." We are talking about textual evidence, recorded statements which affirm or deny, and
as such can be examined, questioned, and tested. From that evidence we make inferences which are sound or not. 

It's not my opinion that Butker says "diabolical lies" have turned women from their true calling. Nor is it simply my opinion that he is defining a career option based on lies as something lesser, not the best choice for women. These conclusions are transcript-based, not "opinion-based." If you say he does not mean what his words said, in your opinion, then the appropriate move is to offer some evidence for why the lifestyle based on "lies" is presented as an equally worthy option, why that is not "knocking" that choice. 

The appropriate move is NOT to claim we both have "opinions," of which neither is a "fact," so basically equal, no way to decide who is right about what Butker said or meant by statements in fairly plain English.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Dill - 06-01-2024, 06:41 PM