Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(06-03-2024, 02:28 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Again, what was the point of bringing up women in Egypt when discussing Butker's speech? You were implying that it is the same or that he will push us back to the "dark ages" with his speech.  Both of which are false, i already posted statistics showing that the educated Millennial women are doing just that and we already know that it is good for the kids and the family. 

My point was that as societies modernize, and people adapt to new gender roles, traditionalists everywhere feel stressed by the change and are moved to uphold or return to traditional roles. Women are especially targeted for this. The implication is not that he wants to put us back into the dark ages, but certainly back to the late '40s and '50s, when, after WWII, there was a general society-wide push to get women back into the homes they had left to engage in war production. Notice that your second link also places the issue of women and education in an international context. Social sciences often do that in an effort to understand social behavior.

The point of bringing up women in Egypt is to show that this is not only a US phenomenon. As I said, I could have used examples from India and other developing countries where the stress on gender roles is even greater.  I also wanted to expand the context. You responded to Butker's speech as if he were just one guy offering an "opinion" disconnected from anything else. I see him as, to repeat, one more dark point among many, part of a world wide backlash against feminism.  He is part of a more general reaction to women's status, of which the rollback of RoevsWade is a part. 

Your post about some educated millennial women illustrates my point. The article is also framed by traditional gender ideology--women returning to their "natural" position in society. And it illustrates the stresses on families brought about by modernization and women's equality. The women interviewed for Daily Mail describe how difficult it is managing career and children. One "cause" of the return to the home, according to the article, was that women felt they could not do their jobs competently.

(06-03-2024, 02:28 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why are you so against Gender-Roles that don't fit your criteria. Aren't Gender roles fluid? People adopt to the roles needed as time goes by.  Today they might be a college grad, tomorrow, might chose to be a stay at home mom (if that choice is an option), then the next week back to work. It's not uncommon at all. 

Easy answer here: I'm for women's equality.  That's my criterion.

So I am "against" gender roles based on the assumption men and women are not equal. 

E.g., that whether a woman is a college grad today or tomorrow a SAHM, the latter is still her true calling, 
even if she eventually goes back to work. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Dill - 06-04-2024, 09:05 AM