Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Dill Wrote: I'm saying that young people respond to messages from social authority around them, for sure. When the message they got from parents, teachers, ministers, friends and extended family was that their place was in the home, most young women figured the traditional role was "best" for them.

Good Point about kids responding to messages from authority figures, except these aren't kids. 

(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Dill Wrote: Feminists managed to roll that back inequality with counter-messaging--parents, teachers, etc. who told young women they were equal and could have successful careers too, contribute as much as men to the economy, to politics, and much else. 

Again, he said SOME will have successful careers, which means they have a choice in how they live their lives.

(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Dill Wrote: Now there is a backlash to feminism and women's equality. Butker's speech is part of that backlash, part of a larger attempt to control the social authority and social environment in which young people make life choices.

There will always be backlash at something, No one or situation is ever perfect. How is it a backlash to being a mother? 
Being a Mother or Father is way more important than any accolade i could get from working. 

(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Dill Wrote: Seems you missed my point.  Laws are based on value judgments, what you are calling "opinion." When enough people support an opinion, they can make it a law. E.g., if enough people think slavery is wrong, they can abolish it. If not enough, then it is not abolished. If enough people want women's roles in society curtailed, they can put their opinion into law.

So when the number of people using their platform to sway opinion increases, and that opinion goes counter to women's equality, then it is rational for people who support equality to be concerned about what that trend means, whether enough "opinions" will be changed to bring back older laws--as was recently attempted in Arizona. 

Wait, are you trying to get enough support to make it a law so being a SAHM's will be against the law?  Good Luck with that one and thanks for the laugh.

(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Dill Wrote: Do you agree, then, that Butker's speech signals resistance to change?

Yes and No, it's a lifestyle that has always been there and always will be an option. 
I honestly wish more people would take parenting more seriously than they do. 

(06-04-2024, 10:54 AM)Dill Wrote: He attacked women's equality by advancing that notion that women, unlike men, have a "natural" role which supersedes everything else they might accomplish. That doesn't "piss [you] off" because you don't share the views on women's equality which I "hold dear to [my] heart."  

And I agree, plenty of people who do not agree with my views on women's equality would not like what I had to say either. They'd be the people who don't see women as fully equal to men.  And all religious people do not think like Butker does. Not even all Catholic women, and not even all women in Catholic orders, as Pally's link to the Benedictine Sisters objection shows. 

There was absolutely nothing degrading towards women in his speech, in fact he praised his wife for what she gave up to be home with their children, unfortunately both parents can't afford to be home. He's against abortion, but that's *gasps* because he's religious. 

Do you agree that being a parent is better than any job you could have in this world or not? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Mike M (the other one) - 06-05-2024, 07:16 PM