Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PA Republicans jeer, leave floor in protest of officers who defended Capitol
(06-06-2024, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you're talking about the Democratic party as a whole, maybe.  But what I've dealt with the last six plus years from that same party here is nothing short of an utter disaster and it is ongoing.  Also, while I acknowledge that the loudest voice are often amplified, I can't recall a single Dem of any prominence pushing back against the "defund the police", the criminal justice system is inherently racist, the police were crated to stop runaway slaves narrative.  It was years before anyone dared voice anything contrary to that, and the voices calling for it were myriad, right up to the eventual VP.

I mean, the defund thing has been mentioned, but I also strongly believe that there is a lot of misunderstanding with that movement in general on both sides of the discussion. People calling for it have a wide variety of views on what needs to happen but they have rallied around this one message that makes them seem monolithic to the other side. On the same token, most of them don't really understand what they are asking for, either. But this is what we get with democracy, people who have no idea what the **** they are talking about talking about it. It sucks sometimes, but it is a necessity. As for the racism narratives, I think we see here again some misunderstandings. I also believe the criminal justice system is inherently racist and it is true that police in some areas were created with the purpose of stopping runaway slaves. However, on the one side people are using that to attack individuals who just want to serve their communities and on the other side, it is being taken as a personal offense when it isn't always intended to be (like how I am discussing the systemic issues, not the ones related to individuals).

(06-06-2024, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The Punisher skull is complete cringe for me, the thin blue line flags not so much.  If you want to display the latter as a show of support I really don't have an issue with that.  As for the harness, not much to add other than what you already said.

I think the thin blue line thing has been coopted to a point of no return, at least around here. You don't see it unless it is with "MOLON LABE", III, a Punisher skull, or a Gadsden flag. I don't know what to do with these people.

(06-06-2024, 11:01 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Don't we always here on this board how the GOP is complicit with Trump because so few of them stand up to him or push back against his biggest excesses?  How does that same logic not directly apply to this issue with the Dems?

The difference between the two is that Trump runs the GOP. Those who fall in line with the GOP platform -- which in 2020 was no platform, just Trump -- are complicit with Trump. When it comes to the Democrats, the platform is not about defunding the police. It is about working on evidence-based reforms to improve community policing that works to reduce our prison populations and treat everyone equitably. That is providing resources to law enforcement, not taking them away.

Now, in neither party is it required that a member hold to the platform, one of the problems with our system to be honest. It's hard to really define anyone based on party when neither party requires upholding the platform. However, given these two things and our discussion here, the resistance to Trump in the GOP is the exception and the defund the police movement is also the exception. Both are not holding to the party platforms in their positions.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PA Republicans jeer, leave floor in protest of officers who defended Capitol - Belsnickel - 06-07-2024, 08:50 AM