Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
(06-08-2024, 07:17 AM)pally Wrote: It was quite clear he was pandering.
His own family wouldn’t exist in the era of Jim Crow.  He was risking getting lynched by even looking a white woman let alone dating and marrying her.

During jim Crow, nuclear families across ALL racial groups were the norm. Divorce was very hard to obtain for anyone but especially if you were poor, black, and living in the south.  Women had few rights…so yeah they were stuck.  But that’s ok because there was a man in the house

The next thing you will hear from him is that slavery was good for black families because they had a job,food, and housing. Don’t forget, he’s from Florida where they already teach children the benefits of slavery.

The bolded is an important point. Also people should remember that Jim Crow was only operative in some some states,
and black families, like white, held together better in non Jim Crow states as well.

Discrimination was widespread in the North during the pre-Civil Rights era, but except in some federal programs, it wasn't
backed into legal policy. So not as bad as the South.

I think what Donalds ultimately meant, once all the walkbacks are taken into account,
is that black people were better off before Johnson's Great Society and the Civil Rights struggle,
with the educational gains, better health outcomes, and widening of opportunity, but also welfare. 

It was post-Johnson that, in lieu of government programs, the male-centered, religious family was thrust front and center 
as a solution to poverty, from Patrick Moynihan to George Gilder. This feeds into the conservative "big government is bad" ideology: 
Dems have damaged the Black community with all their social programs and push for legal equality.

Donalds also said that more Blacks "voted conservatively" under Jim Crow. 

Will I be accused of falling for Dem propaganda and liberal click bait and not listening to what Donalds actually said, 
if I point out that Black's mostly COULDN'T/DIDN'T vote where Jim Crow prevailed? What if I add that conservative blacks didn't
do much to change that?  Liberals and conservatives seem to "hear" different things. Same on the Butker thread. 

In any case, I'm pretty sure that Trump will not choose any person of color for VP. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who should be Trump's VP choice and why? - Dill - 06-09-2024, 08:35 PM