Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
(06-10-2024, 03:38 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: After reading up on several of them.
Rubio makes the most sense, he would help with the Hispanic vote and in a debate with Harris, he would crush her.

Rubio is Cuban, so I don't think he'd help with the Hispanic vote as much as you think. The Dems can pretty much rely on the Black vote, for both historical reasons and because the GOP has never really made any effort to bring them over.  But Hispanics can vary wildly by the region they're from, if they're immigrants themselves, or where their parents or grandparents are from, if that generation were the immigrants. (After that I don't think being Hispanic means anything in regard to how you vote or your political beliefs any more than being White does)

One thing to know is that Hispanic groups have their own views of each other, which are often not flattering.  There's a pretty steady current of "where I'm from is good, where you're from is awful".  Mexicans don't like Hondurans, El Salvadorans, etc.  Puerto Ricans don't like Cubans or Mexicans.  I am, of course, speaking in massive generalities here, but the point being made is that for people who haven't grown up, or otherwise been around a diverse group of people from Hispanic countries (or Brazil), probably aren't aware of this.

Of all the Hispanic cultures represented here Cubans are by far, again speaking generally, the most politically conservative.  So having a Cuban running mate wouldn't help you much with those of Cuban descent and wouldn't help you as much with other Hispanic groups as you might think.  Plus Florida is a red state now, so you don't need the votes there.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who should be Trump's VP choice and why? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-10-2024, 03:59 PM