Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
(06-11-2024, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Unless you arrive on US soil via the ocean you cannot claim asylum in this country unless you are Mexican or Canadian.  As claiming asylum requires you to apply in the first safe country you enter and both Mexico and Canada are designates as safe countries.

Well, I don't really know all that much about it, so these are more questions than anything. But first off, aren't there quite a lot that do enter via ocean, from Cuba or other caribic states for example. It seems the US has around 20.000 to 40.000 people per year that are granted asylum, do most of them apply illegally?
Also, I would have objections to just claim Mexico has to deal with all asylum seekers from the south. Imho, some kind of solidarity from the US is just and reasonable. Eg my country is surrounded by safe countries, that doesn't mean that we have no obligation to grant asylum and imho that is only fair to the other countries. That's one of the points where I am just not on board with your idea, as I am generally not.

(06-11-2024, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As for cheap labor, I don't see that as an issue given the push towards a $20 minimum wage in many states.

Well, you don't have such minimum wages yet and chances are it will never be that high. And even if, does that minimum wage really apply to non-citizens? I would assume it would not.

(06-11-2024, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As for the change, I don't recall anyone of any prominence suggesting such an amendment.  I think it's far too racially charged and no one wants to be the first person to bring it up.  I think if it was discussed openly there would be significant support for it among the general populace.

Curious. I would not have thought Trump to shy away from suggestions that might be seen as racist by some more leftist circles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who should be Trump's VP choice and why? - hollodero - 06-11-2024, 01:32 PM