Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
(06-11-2024, 02:12 PM)Dill Wrote: Yeah, 35% is a lot.

Just watched Tatort Wien, season 1 episode 1 (2010) last night. The story includes local resistance to a minaret for a mosque in an alpine village called "Telfs."
But the plot turns around the murder of a Turkish girl and her Austrian boyfriend by the son of the guy who leads local opposition to the minaret. The 
murdered girl's father wants to send her sister back to Turkey for marriage when he finds out she is dating the other son the opposition leader. Contemporary Romeo and Juliet. 

Looks like the local cop, of Turkish heritage, is an Austrian citizen, but disliked by Turks for being a "traitor" and by Austrians for being a Turk. Except for the Commissar of course who is liberal and insists the cop be treated according to his office. Can foreigners be naturalized there? Guessing it may be different for Turks who have been there for several generations.

PS beautiful mountains there. Wow. 

Ah yeah, "Baum der Erlösung". Probably one of the best of the Vienna Tatort series. The part about the minaret is based on real events in the Tyrolean city Telfs, which I have to add is quite a different world than Vienna is. Tyroleans are particularly proud, particularly nationalistic and isolated, don't quite like strangers that aren't tourists (them they like very much) and there's not that much difference between Viennese people and Turkish people in that assessment, both have the wrong blood. The problems with integration there sure are multiplied in comparison.

As for getting naturalized, if you mean citizenship then usually one can apply after ten years. The turkish community is especially difficult to grasp really, since there are many in second or third generation and there's quite a large spectrum of perfectly integrated people up to the ones who still keep in strict isolation from the Austrian locals - though I would assume that the extreme of sending a daughter to Turkey for marriage is not all that common any more. I was quite shocked though how many of our Austrian-Turks are big Erdogan fans, which quite contradicts our values and beliefs. Imho, it is a problem and will lead to the forming of muslim parties in the not so distant future, which only further feeds the rise of the right-wing extremists here, and a failing immigration policy imho is largely to blame for that. That's why I say I'm not so left on that issue, since the only answer from the left leaning parties seems to be that there is not a problem at all and if you claim otherwise you're just irrationally scared and racist and quite possibly a Nazi. It's something I also accuse the American left of doing, just negating the problem and sending people right into the Trump camp.

And yeah, the beauty of our mountains is amongst our biggest economic exploits. Me personally, I only like them from a distance. The money is good though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who should be Trump's VP choice and why? - hollodero - 06-11-2024, 02:48 PM