Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
(06-11-2024, 01:32 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, I don't really know all that much about it, so these are more questions than anything. But first off, aren't there quite a lot that do enter via ocean, from Cuba or other caribic states for example. It seems the US has around 20.000 to 40.000 people per year that are granted asylum, do most of them apply illegally?

Not sure of the number or if they claim illegally.  If they claimed legally under those circumstances then their application should be considered.

Quote:Also, I would have objections to just claim Mexico has to deal with all asylum seekers from the south. Imho, some kind of solidarity from the US is just and reasonable. Eg my country is surrounded by safe countries, that doesn't mean that we have no obligation to grant asylum and imho that is only fair to the other countries. That's one of the points where I am just not on board with your idea, as I am generally not.

I didn't make the rules, that's what they are.  In order to claim asylum you must apply in the first safe country you reach.  You don't get to shop for the one you'd prefer, which would make you just a migrant.   As for Mexico taking them all, we could certainly assist, but it should be entirely voluntary.  Again, the rules are what they are.  If they aren't followed the application should be rejected.

Quote:Well, you don't have such minimum wages yet and chances are it will never be that high. And even if, does that minimum wage really apply to non-citizens? I would assume it would not.

Minimum wage would cover anyone working in this country.  Of course companies get away with paying illegal immigrants far less than that, but that's illegal and certainly shouldn't be a justification for immigration, e.g. cheap labor.

Quote:Curious. I would not have thought Trump to shy away from suggestions that might be seen as racist by some more leftist circles.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump isn't even cognizant of it.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who should be Trump's VP choice and why? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-11-2024, 05:23 PM