Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
(06-11-2024, 06:41 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK, so no total freeze, asylum claims still can take place. Just to be sure what exactly you suggest.

It'd be something in my back pocket, but I'd certainly prefer not to go that route.  I do think real reform is important enough to do so if needed.

Quote:Not sure I really follow, especially when it comes to the voluntary part. Yeah sure, voluntary, and who would force you anyway. And it's not just about the rules, it's also about treaties with other countries or what kind of neighbour you want to be. What if Germany just says well, we do not border Ukraine, Poland does and is a safe country, let them deal with all those refugees. Barring that we have treaties prohibiting that anyway, it would not be a move I would consider fair or justified. And that's not about asylum seekers picking and choosing (which btw. does not change their status to migrants in my opinion), let them throw a dice over it if that suits the country better. But turning totally isolationist, I can't really approve of that and that's not the US I consider a shining city on a hill really.

Seeking asylum is different from wanting to immigrate.  Now, if asylum seekers in Mexico want to apply to immigrate here than that's totally fine.  But they should not be able to use asylum claiming rules at the Mexican border with the US unless they are Mexican.  Ukraine is a rather different kettle of fish.  It's been invaded by an aggressive neighbor.  if the Eu agrees to distribute refugees from that conflict that's certainly their prerogative.

Quote:I'm certainly not an economist, but that kind of minimum wage and no immigrants working for less imho can't really be great for export and end consumer prices, so I have a hard time seeing this combination happening. But yeah, I know too little about the whole issue. It's a hypothetical anyway.

True.  I've just always had a difficult time with the argument that the economy can't function without workers willing to work of illegally low wages.

Quote:Yeah, he is, I found that article and seems he talks about it. Leading to me agreeing with Donald Trump. Please don't tell anyone.

Haha, no worries.  It probably happens more often than you'd think.  He has some decent ideas under the sophomoric insults and bluster.  Of course, he has some really bad ones as well.  I do think one positive of his winning in November, should that occur, will be an end to the war in Ukraine.  Which is hardly a bad thing.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who should be Trump's VP choice and why? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-11-2024, 07:53 PM