Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oil Surplus Predicted This Decade
(06-14-2024, 12:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Came here for this response.  We've raised the topic of the grid not being able to handle EV's several times in the past.  We have rolling blackouts here during the summer just because of people using their AC, and charging an EV is equivalent, if not more energy intensive than running an AC.  I would add to your substantive post that EV's are also extremely labor intensive to produce, i.e. the rare earth mining and other raw materials needed have a substantive carbon footprint of their own.  Not to mention that the batteries will wear out, cost almost as much as the entire car and are highly toxic waste once they're no longer usable.

Good points and conveniently forgotten or not realized by people on both sides of the issue.  This is where we need advancement and innovation in battery technology.  But like any innovation, it doesn't come for free.  it has to be valued and money has to be thrown at it and if not, researches and scientists can only do so much.  This is innovation that NEEDS to happen, so at least money has been supporting it more lately.

Additionally Fusion is coming along, but I say were at least 20 years from an efficient scaled up model that provides real power.  And one thing people don't realize about fusion, is that it produces nuclear waste, but like fission reactors.  I'd say 95%+ of the population doesn't even know that little point.

Anyway....baby steps.  You can't force progress or innovation.  You can support it, but you can't dictate it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oil Surplus Predicted This Decade - Stewy - 06-14-2024, 04:34 PM