Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PA Republicans jeer, leave floor in protest of officers who defended Capitol
(06-09-2024, 01:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you for addressing the absurdity of that obvious attempt to equate law enforcement to white supremacists.

The ATF is disliked because they are mercurial and arbitrary, two character traits no one likes.  They also like to shoot people's dogs, which absolutely enrages me.   Yes, I am aware local law enforcement can do so as well, it's just not as prominent.  It still enrages me though.

Also very true.  Extremists on both sides have far more in common with each other than rational people in the middle.  Who ever thought they'd see the day the the Ayatollah would praise US college students?

Then Europe has been in decline for centuries.  I agree with your assertion that antisemitism is a universal, I just don't think its expression is necessarily an indication of decline.  Europe, as noted, was, and may still be, a hotbed of antisemitism all throughout its ascendency to the dominant cultural, economic and military force on the planet.

I am not super-versed in the roots of European anti-Semitism.  

My guess would be that 2 things contribute.  One would be the large number of guest workers brought in from predominantly Islamic nations after WWII.  I feel like Germany brought in a lot of Turks at some point.  Who'da thought that replacing Nazis with Muslims would foster an environment conducive to hating Jews?

Also, ultra-nationalism in any nation is bad for Jews in general.  They're often viewed as outsiders, even when they've been in a given nation for generations.  French nationalists are particularly bad.  From what I hear, however, they still hate Muslims a hell of a lot more than Jews.  Not good, but interesting: I've been told that the racist culture in France is (relatively) accepting of blacks, yet absolutely despises Arabs.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PA Republicans jeer, leave floor in protest of officers who defended Capitol - samhain - 06-16-2024, 05:31 PM