Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A win for the common people
(06-20-2024, 03:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've got an example. One of my brothers in law got on working to build large solar farms. The company with the contract for the projects is from out of State, their contract reads that a significant percentage of the labor used on this project must be residents of Ohio. So, the company was using these staffing agencies to supply the Ohio workers, and paying them around $19/hr with no real benefits to speak of. They do the same work as the union guys, who start out at $34/hr. It took over a year and a half for my brother in law to fall under the good graces of one of the company supervisors and get hired onto the actual company and invited to join the union.

That's pretty much how a staffing agency works. Except, many staffing agencies do offer benefits, but the cost of those benefits is unaffordable at the pay rate many receive. But one thing that does set them apart that I can think of is many times, a company will use a staffing agency as a stepping stone into the company. It prevents them from having a lot of upfront costs on employees who may not work out. So usually there's like a 60-90 working day period where an employee must keep good attendance and do a good job.

But let's talk corporations for a moment since I know there will be a few who jump in here and start yelling about corporate greed. I find it difficult to accuse most corporations of greed simply because they are making record profits. That's their job. Just as the workers on the floor have a job to do, everyone up to the CO has to achieve milestones or they lose their jobs too. I invest in the market and I look for growth. If I don't get it from a company, I sell their stock and buy stock from someone who's going to make me money. Why would I, or anyone else approach investing any other way?

I think our younger adults cry corporate greed the most simply because they are used to having things given to them. People work to make money, not give it away to those who don't. This leads to a lot of the problems we have in this country today and kids wanting a free education. We are going to run out of money to fund SS here shortly, but we think it's a great idea to bail out the kids who signed a promise to pay their debt. That's ok though I guess, since the elderly won't stay pissed too long since they've only got a few years left anyway.

Damn, I was trying to stay on topic, but it all intertwines in some fashion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
A win for the common people - SunsetBengal - 06-20-2024, 02:57 PM
RE: A win for the common people - HarleyDog - 06-20-2024, 03:36 PM