Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Louisiana to require the 10 Commandments in classroom
(06-21-2024, 01:56 PM)pally Wrote: On Thursday, Louisiana Gov Landry signed a controversial bill requiring every k-12 public classroom in the state to display the Ten Commandments.  

The ACLU has already announced a lawsuit challenging this law which amounts to religious indoctrination.  Federal Courts have struck down other attempts to make this a requirement, but this will be the first challenge under the current court configuration and of course, any challenge will have to traverse the very conservative 5th District Federal Appeals Court

Glad to see a state with one of the worst education systems in the country focusing on the important stuff instead of reading and math

Looks like they are aiming for the Supreme Court--a challenge to the Establishment Clause.

The current SCOTUS, I'd say, offers them a shot at legitimating this breakdown of Jefferson's wall between Church and State. 
Roberts is certainly the wild card here. Maybe Barrett too. But I'd say they've got a shot if they can get past the lower courts. 

It will be interesting to see how the majority of US voters view this. How much is generally known about how and why the "wall" 
between Church and state came to be the norm in North American and Europe? That's what I'm curious about. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Louisiana to require the 10 Commandments in classroom - Dill - 06-21-2024, 04:09 PM