Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Replace Income Tax with Tariffs?
(06-21-2024, 04:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Consumers don't pay tariffs, the importer does.  Maybe if you read the WSJ you'd know that.

If an importer imports a $40,000 car and pays a $40,000 tariff,  for how much might he sell a car that cost him $80,000?

Would the WSJ tell me that importers pass on the cost of tariffs to consumers? Or stop importing? Save me a little time here.

(06-21-2024, 04:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Tariffs are usually viewed as anti-growth.  But IMO, views may be evolving because I think economists are learning the benefit of trade and outsourcing can take a a few generations to bear fruit (what economists typically refer to as "transition costs", but that's usually considered a short-run effect of less than 5-10 years).

When tariffs are used as a result of dumping or illegal government subsidies (as many claim China does), opinions of economists are much more mixed.

So this is still not all that clear. Are you saying that the "benefit" of Trump's proposed tariffs could manifest in a few generations? 

Remember, the proposal is that tariffs could replace personal income tax as a source of federal revenue. 

Are you implying the opinions of economists are not so "mixed" when it comes to tariffs which have nothing to do with "dumping" etc.?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Replace Income Tax with Tariffs? - Dill - 06-20-2024, 01:09 AM
RE: Replace Income Tax with Tariffs? - CJD - 06-20-2024, 11:38 AM
RE: Replace Income Tax with Tariffs? - Dill - 06-21-2024, 04:30 PM