Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lefty fact-checker confirms Biden lied about Charlottesville
(06-24-2024, 02:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think our disconnect stems from my not equating a person who is opposed to the destruction of Confederate monuments with a Hamas supporter.  While I have never been one of those people I can understand the distaste for the erasing of history, and the removal of monuments or names that have been there over a century.  Especially when it naturally progressed to removing statues of "problematic" people like Jefferson or Washington.   One of the major reasons for these monuments and location names was reconciliation.  Lincoln was very big on smoothing over hurt feelings naturally present after a civil war.  While there are certainly some pro-Confederacy, or those who romanticize it, types in that crowd there are also a sizeable number of people who dislike what the removal represents based on why the monument or location name is there to begin with.

So I can't bring myself to draw an equivalence to people opposed to the removal of a historical monument to a person who is pro-Hamas or a neo-Nazi.

Well, of course not, neither do I. But imho you misrepresented my analogy here. It's not about protesting the renaming of a monument, as it's not about being against Israel's approach in Gaza. Protesting both, imho, is just fine. The problem occurs when in one case the Hamas supporters that shout from the river to the sea, or in the other case the Neo-Nazis, supremacists and the like that shout Jews will not replace us take over. This is the breaking point where things aren't just fine and people still attending aren't blameless any longer. And that would be the intended interpretation of this analogy, that it is weird to still continue the "fine people" narrative after this point, that I would consider being a breaking point, was reached.

(06-24-2024, 02:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Of course it is, every action having a counter reaction and all.  My issue is with people who take umbrage with one side of this coin while lauding, or at best ignoring the other.  As I've said, you don't do this.  There are plenty here, and elsewhere that do.

I get what your issue is, I just question how to weigh it in comparison. But sure, that's indeed because I find Trump's lies more scary than the lies of those who oppose him, which of course is not meant to be a justification for the latter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lefty fact-checker confirms Biden lied about Charlottesville - hollodero - 06-24-2024, 02:17 PM