Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is supporting term limits and exceptions for abortion radical thinking?
(06-26-2024, 12:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The problem with it being a single doctor's call is that it would absolutely be abused, and the main perpetrators would be the wealthy and influential.  Just like it was when abortion was illegal.  Would this happen in significant numbers?  I don't believe so.  But I don't think some form of oversight would be a bad thing either, just to ensure the system is not abused.  I would absolutely not be in favor of criminal consequences, professional consequences would suffice for anyone caught abusing their position.

My concern with that is it would incentivize the doctors to just not provide abortions under any circumstances because they don't want their profession affected. 

As a parallel, many lawyers simply choose not engage in cases that they don't have a high confidence that they'll win because conviction rate is a key statistic in career advancement. 

If doctors were facing a similar decision where they could help a woman at the risk of their careers, how many doctors do you think would do it?

I get wanting to root out abuse, but punishing doctors would only restrict access to care for the women that genuinely need it.

As I said in previous posts, a conservatively high estimate is that 1 to 2% of all abortions nationwide, with no "medically necessary" term limit restrictions, are done electively past 13 weeks. That percentage won't go up if these term limits were instituted. They could only go down.

So that's your best case scenario in terms of "abuse" of the system. Realistically, we'd be talking about less than 1%.  And even then, instituting these measures risks the health of more than 1 to 2% of pregnant people.

I just don't see the benefit of doing it. You may catch a hand full of "bad doctors" and end up harming 10 times as many women.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is supporting term limits and exceptions for abortion radical thinking? - CJD - 06-26-2024, 12:21 PM