Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should Citizens be required to provide valid ID to vote in federal elections?
(06-27-2024, 06:39 PM)pally Wrote: They register just by signing up with your signature affirming you are an American citizen.  Basically the honor system

I see. And I have to say that this is insecure on its face. Honor is the one thing most fraudsters probably do not really value much.

(06-27-2024, 06:39 PM)pally Wrote: And it is a detailed question because as I said earlier the devil is in the details.  It can cost a great deal of money and often time for someone to obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate.  For example it took me over 10 years to finally locate and obtain my fathers.  Is that 10 years he would not have been able to vote?  

No, that would not be feasible. But it's tough for me to know where the problem lies here. I guess there could be policies that make obtaining a birth certificate less of a hassle. I also could imagine a witness system, say two citizens confirming that this person is who he claims he is, where it takes at least their honor too before a voter ID can be obtained.
I can of course never guarantee for certain that someone will not fall through the cracks in any system. But there's a point where I have to compare the disadvantages. And a honor-based voter registration system, to me at least, is just a major disadvantage and detrimental to restricting fraud opportunities. But that is for sure an European perspective, where it would be unthinkable to vote without any valid ID, and imho for good reason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Citizens be required to provide valid ID to vote in federal elections? - hollodero - 06-27-2024, 07:24 PM