Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's clear up this Trump/Dictator narrative.
Well, I don't think many people believe Trump will actually become a dictator. I assume something akin to that would be his full intention though, and what that could result in is a constitutional crisis, also violence and unrest, and in the lng run a weakening of the structures that could make authoritarianism a little more obtainable - for the next guy.

As for his intentions. Trump openly thrives for absolute immunity as president, eg. for being allowed to do whatever he wants as he puts it, and that is an idea as dictator-like as they come. And it's not like there's a clear contradiction to that demand, apparently no one knows for certain whether a sitting president can be indicted or - as his lawyers argue - has a licence to kill. I'm not quite sure who will reign him in with authority - and with what authority - should he just disregard the checks and balances system. What happens if he just fires a SC. What happens if his party has a majority in the houses and are way too afraid to ever go against him - a situation that imho was already close to manifest itself. What happens if he calls state secretaries and demands they find him votes, and then they actually do find him votes. These are the things that I'm wondering about, and certrainly also worrying about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's clear up this Trump/Dictator narrative. - hollodero - 06-28-2024, 05:12 PM