Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dalton & McCarron are in a very awkward situation
(01-07-2016, 10:39 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I think it's a valid thread.

There's three things we have to think about regarding the "starting Dalton if McCarron beats the Steelers" issue. Dalton hasn't practiced for almost four weeks. Dalton hasn't played for almost four weeks. Dalton had an injury involving his throwing hand. If McCarron convincingly beats the Steelers, should we really start Dalton the next game? If McCarron is already going into the Patriots game hot or even just looking good, I say we start him regardless of how good Dalton was during the regular season.

Fans, players and coaches are always talking about how the playoffs are a "new season" and how it's a "different atmosphere". Yet the way people are talking around here, you'd think we're still in the regular season, that the playoffs aren't different and that Dalton isn't coming off a 3 and a half week injury because his job is up against McCarron and "That just shouldn't be because Dalton had an MVP like season". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Dalton didn't play well during the regular season, but I feel like a lot of people are having tunnel vision about Dalton.

There's also the fact that the coaches have adjusted the offense a bit to fit McCarron since he's come into the game. If we start Dalton against the Patriots are the coaches going to go back to their Dalton playbook? If Dalton ends up not playing well and they have to put McCarron in at some point during the game, is McCarron and the offense going to have enough time to adjust?

Health is a valid argument to be made when deciding who starts. I don't want Daton starting unless he can do everything he did pre-injury. And i want him to have a full week of reps with the gameplan. 

That aside, i wouldn't elevate McCarron just because he's the QB if the team wins one or two playoff games. It's widely believed the team has one of if not the best roster in the NFL. That will help a backup. 

When we're discussing who is better when both are healthy, the easy answer is Dalton. That's my only beef. Those that think McCarron is the better option when health isn't a question.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dalton & McCarron are in a very awkward situation - rfaulk34 - 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM