Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Force Awakens spoiler thread
(01-08-2016, 06:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm with you for the most part here, just commenting on the mind trick thing. This is where my nerd comes into play. The waving of the hand we saw some force users do is a focusing technique. The Force in many ways is like magic in fantasy writing. There is the ability to do magic without the gestures and incantations, it is just either less polished or the work of someone with years of practice. With her not being trained, her not using the gesture would be more appropriate due to that likely being a part of the training as a focus aid.

Of course this is very similar to "She can do it because she doesn't know any better".

If you think back to ESB when Luke is told to pull his Xwing from the swamp, and the iconic line "Do or do not, there is no try" is uttered by Yoda, it is important to note that Luke failed in his attempt and claimed that it is "Impossible".  Only to have Yoda perform the task and an incredulous Luke remark on how "he didn't believe" with Yoda offering up even more wisdom with "And that is why you failed".

Showing that believing in it's ability to work is more important than having the technique to do so.

Which is why this escape scene is so problematic with me.  The actress didn't convey any sense of belief in what she was doing. If anything she was acting out of desperation, which the actress portrayed very well.  It was out of desperation and then shock that it actually worked.  Which doesn't fit with the notion that the belief is more important than the technique.  Sure she said it more firmly the second time, but even then she was unsure of her being successful.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Force Awakens spoiler thread - J24 - 12-19-2015, 03:29 AM
RE: The Force Awakens spoiler thread - Sovereign Nation - 01-08-2016, 06:45 PM