Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Christian Couple Vows To Get Divorced If Gay Marriage Is Legalized
(06-12-2015, 03:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am still confused.  I guess it is because I have never seen the term "rights" in the Bible or ever heard it used in regards to religious doctrine.  So help me out here.

Does the Bible give you the "right" to own slaves or the right to own slaves?

This could have been exactly why I separated the "right" from the biblical context of the OP's supposed feeling about Holy Matrimony. I am not sure how much clearer I could have been. Perhaps your confusion is a byproduct of you trying to equate the situation to slavery.

But to answer your question: I am unsure of any passage that gives anyone the right to own slaves; however, it was a common practice and differed greatly from what many of us might consider slavery. It was mostly based on economic conditions, people often sold themselves into slavery because they could not pay their debts or they just needed someone else to provide for them and their family. There are also instructions provided that suggest the slave should be freed of this debt after 7 years.

The bible does condemn the type of slavery practiced early in the US and many types still in practice today.  Exodus 21:16 tells us: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”

I hope this cleared up some of your confusion.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Couple Vows To Get Divorced If Gay Marriage Is Legalized - bfine32 - 06-12-2015, 01:39 PM