Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Christian Couple Vows To Get Divorced If Gay Marriage Is Legalized
(06-12-2015, 01:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This could have been exactly why I separated the "right" from the biblical context of the OP's supposed feeling about Holy Matrimony. I am not sure how much clearer I could have been. Perhaps your confusion is a byproduct of you trying to equate the situation to slavery.

But to answer your question: I am unsure of any passage that gives anyone the right to own slaves; however, it was a common practice and differed greatly from what many of us might consider slavery. It was mostly based on economic conditions, people often sold themselves into slavery because they could not pay their debts or they just needed someone else to provide for them and their family. There are also instructions provided that suggest the slave should be freed of this debt after 7 years.

The bible does condemn the type of slavery practiced early in the US and many types still in practice today.  Exodus 21:16 tells us: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”

I hope this cleared up some of your confusion.
Exodus Chapter 21, verse 1:

Now these are the ordinances which you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' then his master shall bring him to the judges, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.

Exodus Chapter 21, verse 20:

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

Yeah.  This sounds nothing like the slavery that was practiced in the states.  They weren't the "property" of their masters.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Couple Vows To Get Divorced If Gay Marriage Is Legalized - WhoDeyWho - 06-12-2015, 02:47 PM