Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Adam Jones on DP Show: Brown was faking it
Found this:

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/new-rules-for-the-2015-16-season/

It does say hitting a WR that is tracking the ball and the penalty is to hit the WR forcibly in the head or neck area. So I can definitely see the penalty being called.

Here is the NFL definition of a defenseless WR.

A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has comp
leted a catch and has not had time to
protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If
the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or
warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he
is no longer a defenseless player

Here is an interesting tidbit for the why Shazier should've been penalized:

If a player uses any part of his helmet (including
the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or
facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently
or unnecessarily.

This is the part that I am thinking of:

if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body.

This kind of shows that Burfict may not have been in the wrong. He didn't launch or leave his feet and he didn't lead with the helmet. However if you look at the update, it does include hitting with the shoulder, but it doesn't look like it was clear on if launching or leaving the ground was a requirement.

Bottom line: It is hard to argue that a flag should NOT have been thrown. I can agree that a flag was thrown, it was a costly penalty and that should have been that.

However, Porter being in our defensive huddle, mouthing off is in clear violation of the rules and the Steelers should have been penalized 15 yards. You could argue that there were 2 fouls on the play, both for 15 yards, however I am not sure if they stack. If they do then that would have been 30 yards (though still 1st and 10), if not then one penalty declined the other accepted, puts the ball right back where it was before Burfict's hit.

If the officials got that right and the Bengals win, then we would be giving Porter the game ball.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adam Jones on DP Show: Brown was faking it - Sovereign Nation - 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM