Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trade Andy to Browns for their #2 pick
(01-13-2016, 10:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know people think Hue is an idiot for that Carson trade, but Carson was a proven commodity and Hue was in a desperate situation. McCarron isn't on Palmer's level and Hue isn't fighting for a playoff spot with an injured starting QB. I'd say there's almost zero chance that McCarron would garner a 1st round pick + a conditional 2nd. Heck, I have my doubts that any team will come calling with a 2nd, but at least that's realistic.

Honestly, I think Hue being in the division makes a trade of McCarron less likely. 

I can't argue that.  You are correct.  Though you never know in today's NFL.

I try to think if I were the one running things or had a say in them anyway for Cleveland.

So I am Hue Jackson...

What do I need? 

1st and for most a QB.  A good QB is not so easily obtained in today's NFL.  Drafting one is risky.  Pulling in a FA is usually as a stop gap and not a long term answer.  Some QBs that I would be looking at are

RGIII
Tebow (yes, Tebow, I know how some view him, but I think in the right system, he could be a winner)
Sam Bradford (though with him I have some concerns with durability and shell shockedness)

and of course the Bengal killer is on the market (TJ Yates).

However, I don't think any of those would be a long term solution.  If I am the HC, especially for a team like the Browns, I am looking for immediate success so that I can have long term status.

So going through the draft, I don't see anyone that I think will bring me the success I would need to stay, almost every HC in Cleveland has drafted a QB and they are all gone.  So I think outside the box.

I could draft players for draft picks, but that doesn't help me with my current need of a QB.  Do I have any players that would fetch me a QB?  What would be the cost of trading those players away?  Joe Haden is the best CB they have, would it be worth trading him away for a QB?  Sure, but then who do they put on AJ Green?  Alex Mack?  Then who do I get to protect the QB?

No if I were to make a trade, it would be a draft pick for a QB. 

Zach Mettenburger
Jimmy Garrapolo
Geno Smith
AJ McCarron

Out of those 4 AJM is the only one that Hue has worked with.  He has already worked in my system and I feel like he gives me the best chance at short term and long term success.

So what does Hue have for compensation?  He has the 2nd pick in the draft and that could be enticing just by itself.  I know it would be for me.  He could start low and offer a 3rd rounder for him, however nobody negotiates like Mike Brown, so he will have to raise the stakes a bit in order to get AJM.  If it were me and Brown told me that it would take nothing less than a 1st rounder and a conditional 2nd rounder, then I would pull the trigger.  After all, what do I really have to lose?  If the team has a losing record, I am more likely fired.  So might as well bet the farm for a QB that I know I can win with.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trade Andy to Browns for their #2 pick - Sovereign Nation - 01-14-2016, 01:03 AM