Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our future is starting to look bleak...
(01-14-2016, 08:56 PM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: Lance McAlister has been arguing this on his radio show tonight, that he believes the Bengals made a huge mistake by letting Hue go.  He likens to this when some 40 years ago they chose Bill "Tiger" Johnson over Bill Walsh for the HC job, and we all know how that played out.  He thinks it was the safe move rather than the best and exciting move.  He believes Marvin has maxed out his abilities.  I get the sense a lot of other people feel the same way.  Someone in this thread mentioned that the Bengals may always be good under Marvin, but never great.

I'm not so sure about all that.  Maybe in 3, 5, or 10 years Zimmer and/or Hue have won multiple championships and we are still fighting for our first playoff win since 1991.  Even if that's the case, which I doubt, I don't think the Bengals made that big of a mistake.  I also don't think it's gloom and doom that Dalton will be on his 3rd OC in 6 years.  Firstly, Marvin has shown that he is great selector of players and coaches.  The Bengals roster this year had something like 38 players that they had drafted, if not more.  Good enough for most in the league.  A lot of that has to do with the stability  at the top with Marvin, and that he is doing a good job selecting players.  Additionally, he hasn't made mistakes with choosing coordinators.  He's done a pretty good job recently.

I think Marvin is well-aware of the risk of bringing someone from the outside in and potentially disrupting Andy's development.  However, I think Zampese will be staying in town (either as OC or continuing as QB coach), so even if he does bring someone from the outside in, there will be that stability.  Dalton's rapid improvement this year may have had a lot to do with Hue Jackson, and even if it was, he is not going to just lose those abilities.  He even said so himself recently, that those teachings will stick with him.

Anyway, who knows how Hue will do as HC.  Great OCs don't always make good HCs.  I think Marvin deserves a lot of credit, and I don't believe he is at fault for the playoff loss.  I also trust his decision for OC.

Also, again, there is no way, as close as Hue and Marvin are reported to be, that Hue takes Marvin's job. You can't just fire somebody's friend and expect them to take the job. That's a huge betrayal. Moving on is one thing. Taking that person's job? A whole other level.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our future is starting to look bleak... - hitchopottimus - 01-14-2016, 10:01 PM