Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com's Peter King writes letter of caution to NFL players
(01-16-2016, 04:42 PM)jason Wrote: I remember that.  It was against the Texans opening day or so.  I think that was before they really started cracking down on hits to the head (although like you said linemen seem to be exempt from that protection), but they were already starting the whole "defenseless player" thing.  It drives me crazy because refs are told to throw the flag even when they are in doubt.  If it looks bad, they will flag it. They nailed Reggie Nelson so many times for it that he started going low.  That's what happened to Bell last year, and I can see why that drove Tomlin crazy.  Anybody who has played hates being hit in the knee.  The officiating and rules have gotten to be very frustrating over the last couple of years.

Good memory, it was against the Texans.  We are in agreement, the protection really only extends to skill players.  I think that's a due to a combination of fantasy football (which brings in lots of casual fans) and a desire for high scoring games in general, as the less hardcore fan prefers them.  Goodell is wildly inconsistent and really rules by whim and fiat.  Again, I've been warning about this for several years but was constantly told I was a whiny Steelers fan over it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SI.com's Peter King writes letter of caution to NFL players - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-16-2016, 10:27 PM