Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered
(06-15-2015, 02:08 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, not surprisingly, I'll disagree.

I (along with her mom) made my daughter with the hopes that she will be perfect. I know she won't be. Not because I didn't give her a perfect template to work with, but because she won't make perfect choices.   That didn't stop us from making her.

All-knowing Gods don't "hope".  They know.  That's why you are not a god and that's why your analogy is painfully lacking.  If you knew with absolute certainity that your daughter would ultimately be the second coming of Adolf Hitler would you feel the same way about your choice to have her?  Would you bear no responsibility for knowingly forcing such a brutal dictator on the world?   

Quote:The only way for us to know something for sure is going to happen is after the fact.  Hindsight. I'm fortunate in that nothing too bad has befallen either of my kids (my son is adopted). But if something did, I wouldn't look back with hindsight after and say I shouldn't have had them. God doesn't see someone who makes mistakes and say "well, guess I shouldn't have made him." That wouldn't really be love. With that, you want the best and lament the bad.

Not if you are an all-knowing god.  Supposedly he has perfect knowledge of your actions before you are even born.  Why would a god who knew before he even created Adam or Eve react so irrationally when they behaved exactly as he knew they would?  Especially given the fact that it was HIS CHOICE and HIS CHOICE ONLY to create them?

Quote:People have a hard time with a God that lets bad things happen to those He loves. I don't have an answer for that, outside of bad things happen. And sometimes they happen because of our free will, things we do to ourselves. Sometimes its things done because of someone else's free will. And sometimes it's just something bad that happens. It doesn't change the way you feel for someone when they make a mistake, or when they become the victim of one.

I don't necessarily have a "hard time" with it.  I have a hard time with the logic that an all-powerful, all-knowing god is somehow "Good" for doing so.  If he is ultimately the "first cause" and he KNEW in advance what his actions would spawn, then bad things happen precisely because he wants them to.  We have no freedom to act in any way he didn't already know about before the first man even existed.

How you can pretend like he isn't ultimately responsible just baffles me.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered - WhoDeyWho - 06-15-2015, 02:25 PM