Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Showcases Bengals Tweets After Steelers Loss
(01-18-2016, 08:58 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Am I the only one who finds the word "thugs" to describe football players to be extremely racist?

They're not shooting up a Gas station or diner. They just hit the opponent's players (arguably) harder than they should.

There are no criminals on Cincinnati's team. The player being called a thug most often (Burfict) has never even been arrested, let alone do anything that would warrant the title of "thug."

It's amazing how ingrained into our culture racism is that people can feel comfortable calling a black person a thug just because you don't like the way they play a game.

No you are not!! I think this is what hurts me the most as a fan. The word "thug" is used way too much and it makes me want to pull the hair out of my head. 

The reason why I think this feels worse than 2005 is because in 2005, we arguably deserved the criticism because we actually did lead the league in arrests. This year, I think we have a fairly classy team and we are being called classless and dirty, which irks me beyond belief. 
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN Showcases Bengals Tweets After Steelers Loss - Clep - 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM