Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like Marvin, Tomlin Needs To Be Criticized
Until this next semester, when he will be employed at Xavier, I presented to this professor at NKU's classes, and he always publishes articles and he's a great writer.

He just published an article about why Tomlin needs to be criticized like Marvin is criticized when it comes to discipline of players and coaches, but we all know they won't be because they have rings, which trumps everything.

Quote: Get ready. I'm about to criticize a coach. And I don't care a thing about his race.

In a recent interview, American Race-ologist (and former noted sportswriter) Jason Whitlock said people are afraid to criticize Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin because he’s African-American.

Now, I refer to Whitlock in this way because I think he talks about race a bit too much when it comes to sports, but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, I listened to his thoughts on the terrible Herd radio program and proceeded to 1.) disagree because I thought his opinions were silly, and 2.) immediately localize the story by wondering why no one seems to have that same problem with Marvin Lewis.

Everyone criticizes Marvin Lewis. And last time I checked, Lewis was African-American, too.

Right? Yes.

And when it comes to Lewis, a better question may be: Who hasn’t criticized Marvin Lewis during his tenure with the Bengals? I feel like his own mother has probably wondered why he can't win a playoff game. I criticized him recently, in this space.

I said Lewis had lost control of his team, which – if you watched the Bengals last playoff game – I find difficult to argue with.

Still, the more I think about Tomlin, the more I think the same applies to him.

As we’d also already stated here, the Steelers were as much to blame for the atrocities of that playoff game as the Bengals.

So, I’d like to do something I didn’t do the first time around – I’d like to criticize Mike Tomlin, who seems to be in a very similar place when compared to Marvin Lewis (aside from the fact that Tomlin has a Super Bowl win under his belt).

Here’s the deal: Mike Tomlin is African-American – and I don't care at all about criticizing him. Since his team is now out of the playoffs, I’ll let him have it.

I know all about the feel-good stories about how the Steelers overcame injuries all year just to find themselves back in the playoffs. I heard this enough from Jim Nantz and Phil Simms during the playoffs broadcast. Let’s just say I was less than amazed. This is the NFL. Injuries happen all the time.

Strap it up and get on the field.

Yet when the Steelers came out for their first-round playoff game against the Bengals, I saw a very similar sight – just like the Bengals, the Steelers were a team out of control.

And even though Pittsburgh wasn't called for as many penalties, Tomlin should still be in danger of losing his job.

Allowing assistants to get tangled up with players twice in one game? Allowing the level of certain players’ anger to rise to out-of-control proportions without taking them off the field? Inexcusable.

Someone in the Steelers organization has to pay. If not Tomlin, then who? Joey Porter can pony up funds for all the fines he's been given, but for Tomlin to acknowledge Porter afterward with a game ball is just absurd. And all of it is representative of the culture they’ve created in Pitt.

Just like in Cincinnati, the Steelers have a reputation when it comes to play that is deemed “dirty” or “almost dirty.” No doubt they push the boundaries - they just get more calls. And just like Cincinnati, the Steelers embarrassed themselves in that playoff victory - their only saving grace was that they won.

But is that enough? Should it be?

Or should we still hold the man in charge accountable for the character of his players? I believed that when I criticized Marvin Lewis. I believe it now when I'm criticizing Mike Tomlin.

He needs to re-evaluate his procedures and get his team under control. If not, his position should be in jeopardy.

That's the way I feel about the Pittsburgh coach. And I don't care a thing about his race.

I love that he even points out how "experts" like Nantz and Simms are so far up the Steelers' asses that they're afraid to criticize them.

It's a beautiful article and it's what anyone that thinks logically about the Steelers thinks, too.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Like Marvin, Tomlin Needs To Be Criticized - BFritz21 - 01-28-2016, 01:45 AM