Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered
(06-16-2015, 08:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm must have done a poor job of explaining myself because it seems you misunderstood much of what I wrote.

I think we can agree you and I have a conscience because of Original Sin. I believe I can logically conclude Adam and Eve did not have a conscience before the fall.   Merriam-Webster defines conscience as "the sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blame worthiness of one's own conduct, intentions, or character together with a feeling of obligation to do right or be good." God created Adam and Eve without those abilities.

Without a conscience Eve lacked the ability to sense the moral goodness of her conduct and the moral badness of the serpent's conduct. Eve lacked the sense of blame worthiness of her own actions. Eve lacked the feeling of obligation to do right or be good.   It is illogical to punish someone for not doing what they are told when that person lacks the abilities listed above. It is illogical to hold someone morally responsible for their actions if they lack the abilities listed above. It is illogical to punish someone when immorally coerced to do something they otherwise hadn't done when they lack the abilities listed above.   I would go so far as to state that not only is it illogical, but it was immoral of God to punish Adam and Eve for a moral dilemma when their lack of morals and a conscience was God's moral responsibility.   When my sense of morality is more highly developed than that of an omnipotent Creator upon which an entire religion is based upon then I can't accept that religion's premise.

No. That's exactly what i thought you were saying. I'd say it was more me not being clear in my reply. 

I agree with the premise of your second paragraph. But i look at it as, as true as that is, i don't believe God would have created them without enough intelligence to at least understand the situation; God, the creator, explains what they can and can't do. Explains to them what will happen if they do what they're not supposed to do, yet she listens to what was created instead of what was instructed by the creator. It just seems to me that a pretty basic level of understanding is the only thing that is required. But that goes mostly if not all to my belief in personal responsibility.

I agree, the scenario you are giving would be considered unfair. I just don't believe it happened that way. Unfortunately, with such vague and 'this film has been modified from its original version... formatted to run in the time allotted...etc etc' writing, i don't have anything to back it up other than my belief.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered - rfaulk34 - 06-17-2015, 12:04 AM