Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
48.9% of Unions members work for the Government
(02-01-2016, 02:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't know about you, but when I worked for the State I had pretty good benefits. I got 3.15 hours of vacation (which after 5 years of employment you got more, and more after 10 and so on) every two weeks and I got an additional 3.15 hours of sick time (which there is no increase with seniority) along with that. I had a better retirement plan than I have seen in the private sector. The health, vision, and dental plan were all cheaper and covered about the same amount as what I have now too.  They also gave me $5,000 a year for any college course I wanted to take, and they gave me 5 hours a week I could take off of my scheduled work days to go to school. I know I was in OCSEA side of the union, because I was working in the prison system (and because I was working there I might have had better benefits than other state employees).

All of those things I had in the private sector. Now, my current leave situation is much better here than in the private sector (and what you had in the public sector). But my employer match for retirement is worse and my insurance is worse.

I get a day of leave a month for vacation, 64 hours of sick time, 16 community service, and 40 hours of family/personal time. The vacation is the only time that isn't 'use it or lose it', but I'm maxed out on what I can roll from one year to the next, so I'm usually losing that as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48.9% of Unions members work for the Government - Belsnickel - 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM