Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
48.9% of Unions members work for the Government
(02-01-2016, 02:52 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Individuals have little to no bargaining leverage when negotiating an employment contract in most situations.  You aren't going to be able to negotiate significant changes or incentive bonuses or benefits to a company's standard offer for the position.  Anyone who thinks differently either hasn't negotiated an individual contract or is naïve.  My particular contract prohibits me from even discussing compensation with other employees which would allow me to use that information in a negotiation.

That's what usually cracks me up when people say 'well, if you want a raise, just talk to your boss.'

If you work for a large company, your boss most likely doesn't lose sleep when you leave. If you leave there's already a resume on file to fill your job, who will probably start out making less than you, which helps your boss keep expenses down (and most likely get a bonus). Likewise, your coworkers or other departments are going to be covering your slack until someone gets up to speed, not the guy who signs off on your raise.

So one person saying 'hey, I haven't had a cost of living raise in 5 years, I need more money or I quit' means little to nothing. But an entire department or company is a different story.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48.9% of Unions members work for the Government - Benton - 02-01-2016, 04:45 PM