Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
48.9% of Unions members work for the Government
(02-01-2016, 04:45 PM)Benton Wrote: That's what usually cracks me up when people say 'well, if you want a raise, just talk to your boss.'

If you work for a large company, your boss most likely doesn't lose sleep when you leave. If you leave there's already a resume on file to fill your job, who will probably start out making less than you, which helps your boss keep expenses down (and most likely get a bonus). Likewise, your coworkers or other departments are going to be covering your slack until someone gets up to speed, not the guy who signs off on your raise.

So one person saying 'hey, I haven't had a cost of living raise in 5 years, I need more money or I quit' means little to nothing. But an entire department or company is a different story.

If you are just a dude in your profession then I can see why you would want the stability of a union contract.

But the idea isn't to be just a dude and do the minimum. Negotiating your own deal forces you to be at the top of your game or always pushing. This is never a bad thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48.9% of Unions members work for the Government - StLucieBengal - 02-02-2016, 09:12 PM