Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We had White slaves in America, too.
(06-17-2015, 12:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is an interesting topic, to be sure. It can also include the discussion of cultural appropriation, such as the NAACP stuff in the headlines. For someone to appropriate black culture in such a way is a faux pas like no other, but every year there are millions in America that appropriate both German and Irish culture for a short time. Is it because of the timespan? Is it because Irish and Germans are white?

The nuances of acceptibility of these sorts of things, whether it be derogatory remarks/jokes or cultural appropriations is something I don't come close to understanding in whole. I think with the Irish in particular they have embraced many of the things that were once derogatory. This isn't to say all of them have, but many of the really Irish types I know don't mind the tamer slurs, at least coming from Americans. If a Brit uses some of them, though, it's a bit different.

I just don't tend to use any slurs like that, really. It's better that way. Every single one of us probably has a slur that applies to them that may get under their skin. I mean, we're called seppos across the pond, short for septic tank, Cockney rhyming for yank, because we're both full of shit. There are plenty more derogatory slurs for Americans on their own, let alone whatever hyphenated American version you are. We're all mutts anyway, so what does it really matter at this point?

Agree wholeheartedly......

As for the rest, it has always been an interesting topic for me.  I've never really taken any offense to the musings, but then again, I've never been called to task by a Brit!LOL

EDIT: I also just avoid any slurs to begin with......why bother? Sure, my closest friends and I may call each other names in closed confines, but in public is just.......not thinking, to put it politely.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: We had White slaves in America, too. - Wyche'sWarrior - 06-17-2015, 12:08 PM