Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Parting Thoughts for the 2015 Season
(02-08-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Susan Lucci can win an Emmy then Marvin can win a Super Bowl.

Here is my honest assessment of the 2015 Bengals.  Once Burfict returned the Bengals had a Championship level defense.  Solid against both the pass and run.  We have lots of free agents on that side of the ball (Jones, Hall, Iloka, Nelson)  I think we will bring most of those guys back, and if not we have decent replacements at Dennard, Williams, and Shaw.  I don't want all three of those guys starting, but no way we let all our free agents walk.  So as I see it the only real needs for the Defense are a quality DT and a nickle LB.  Hopefully we can get a Dt in the draft.  A niche player like a nickle LB should be cheap on the free agent market.

On offense our running game was inconsistent all year.  I believe we have good RBs, and a lot of good O-linemen.  I think Smith will probably be replaced by one of the second year draft picks, but he did not seem to play as well as he has in the past.  Bodine did not seem to improve very much.  It will be interesting to see if they give him another year.  I am afraid we may take another fourth rounder to give him a year to develope behind Bodine.  I think we will end up signing Zeitler to a long term deal.  Marvin Jones seems to want to go somewhere to be a #1.  If so we need to use a high pick on a WR.  Sanu is okay as a #3, but I don't trust him as our #2.  We have tons of weapons on offense even if Jones leaves.

Overall I see a solid team that is no longer "inexperienced" or "young" yet does not yet have any real concerns with players getting old.  Our core is in its prime.  There is no reason we should not be a Super Bowl contender next year.  We have to fix the running game, but I feel we have plenty of talent to run the ball.

In addition to what Fred has said, it's also noteworthy that the 2016 coaching staff has the most years of experience in the Lewis era!  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parting Thoughts for the 2015 Season - bengalguy71 - 02-08-2016, 12:35 PM