Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuomo issues crackdown on LGBT conversion therapy
This whole fiasco of 'Indoctrination" is really a matter and mix of semantics and intellectual dishonesty. I find myself agreeing more with bfine on this matter.

The big problem I see when this issue of indoctrination comes up is that people who are against indoctrination want to criticize it as the same as brainwashing someone when I don't believe that's really the case. As bfine said, brainwashing is a more harsher way of "teaching" someone something which often involves methods of torture and force. Basically, brainwashing usually has some type of ulterior motive or personal agenda behind it whereas indoctrination is about teaching for the purpose of believing a specific idea, rather than just teaching for the purpose of "general education" or some type of motive that goes beyond the belief (ie brainwashing as a war tactic).

Brownshoe, you mentioned that indoctrination was a synonym of brainwashing as if the two were exactly the same thing. Just because words are considered synonymous with each other doesn't mean that they are exactly the same, but rather have somewhat of a similar connotation to them. You know what else is synonymous with brainwashing? Persuasion. So then if that's the case you're guilty of trying to brainwash bfine into your arguments here in this thread because you are trying to persuade him to believe the opposing position that you're arguing for. In fact we are all guilty of trying to brainwash others whenever we try to persuade anyone of anything............ obviously that's not reality.

You see, this is the problem with people quickly pulling up Google and searching for words that are synonymous with other words as an attempt to try and prove a point. Indoctrination is NOT brainwashing. Indoctrination is the specific teaching of a personal belief. The reason people have a problem with indoctrination is because the word is most widely used in connection with religion and thus they criticize it for that connection and call it "brainwashing". The funny thing however is that indoctrination used to be more synonymous with the words "to teach", but in modern times the word has become distorted and people view it as "brainwashing", when all it really is, is teaching someone a belief that you believe as truth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cuomo issues crackdown on LGBT conversion therapy - Matt_Crimson - 02-09-2016, 11:20 AM