Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting stat showing which teams value the draft
I was surprised recently when I saw a very simple stat for the first time. I had never thought to just look at the number of picks each team has had over the last few years. there was a greater difference than i thought there would be. Over the last five years the Bengals have had 49 picks. That is 6th in the league. The Forty-niners had the most (50) and 3 teams tied for last with 31 each (Car, NO, CHI). That is a massive sixty-one percent difference. In just 5 years the Niners 19 extra picks was more than three full additional drafts (6 per year) for each the last place teams.

Over the last 10 years the Bengals had 90 picks which is third behind only Green Bay and New England who had 92 each. The last place team (NO) only had 62 picks. That difference of 28 players amounts to about four and a half additional drafts (6.2 per year) for the Saints.

I never thought the differences would be so extreme.

It also makes me wonder about draft rankings. It seems that they should be adjusted to reflect success per pick. Which team would you consider the better at drafting. A team that selected 50 players over 5 years and got 10 starters, or a team that took 31 players and got 9 starters?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Interesting stat showing which teams value the draft - fredtoast - 02-10-2016, 12:24 PM