Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati rock radio blows ...
I heard Soundgarden on 92.5 the FOX a few days ago. For those of you that don't know, that's Cincinnati's classic rock station, as in 60's and 70's Rock ... at least it was that way when I was growing up. Some years ago, they began to sprinkle in some 80's rock, as in Bon Jovi and Mötley Crüe. Giving 80's hair bands air time on a classic rock station was odd to me but I figured since some classic rock did come outta the early 80's, it wasn't sacrelege to include most of eighties rock at some point. By the time the late eighties and 90's rolled around, classic rock was already defined, therefore limited. In it's broadest definition could it include those hair bands but in no way shape or form should classic rock be able to include Grunge or anything that came beyond '89 unless we're talkin' about Clapton's Unplugged or The Eagles reunion or something similar. These guys will always be classic rock. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam or any band from the 90's are not classic rock.

After nearly 25 years of having The Fox as a staple in my preset stations, usually button number 1, it has been banished, along with WEBN, a station I haven't preset in about 8ish years and rarely listen to.

Where I live, I receive Dayton stations as well. WTUE hasn't been a preset in about 10 years. I could go on and on about either of these stations, but I'll spare everybody those details.

I don't know how long WEBN2 ? has been on the air, however it's the exact same station as 103.9 in Dayton. Same songs being played at the same time with the same DJ's and everything. 103.9 has been around for 20 yrs or so, I've only recently discovered WEBN2. There's 96.5 'New Rock', or whatever they're calling themselves these days, but they've been outta my presets for about 6 months now. The two stations that are actually one station (corporate radio), aired simultaneously in Cincinnati and Dayton, are 'alternative' rock station(s) that refuse to expand its playlist beyond anything mainstream, thus not 'alternative' at all. These six stations are what's offered to the Cincinnati and Dayton area as rock radio and it's all the same crap-cookie-cutter-corporate, mostly produced, overly produced, intentionally produced, bubble gum music, 95% (or more) of which is probably the worst example that artist or that sound can offer.

I have now heard Soundgarden's 'Outshined' on all 6 of these stations within a few days from each other (relatively speaking, because I don't listen to these stations, but the last time I did, I promise I heard Outshined).

For a City with such a rich reputation for local, live music, Cincinnati sure has some of the crappiest rock radio stations they could possibly offer. I mean, how many more times do we need to hear 'Thunderstruck' from any of these stations?

105.9 will save you from crap Rock n Roll radio in Cincinnati.

Many songs they play really aren't my thing, but many are. It's not that I don't like Soundgarden or AC/DC, it's that I've heard the same damn songs for 30 years and now there's no variety because each rock station is playing what the other plays. Except for 105.9 WNKU. Finally a radio station that plays the band Pavement or Tom Waits or the GOAT Grand Master Flash. You don't have to like any of these artists to appreciate this station. I promise they will play at least one song you will love, that you've never heard before. And they play local artists as well. It is by far the very best rock radio anywhere in the area and has a strong signal. I have yet to lose it. It's replaced some all-time staples on my radio and has become the best local station I can remember. I don't work for this station. I'm not even in radio. I'm just trying to get the word out because the mainstream radio sux and 105.9 is public broadcast and need our support, lest I wanna listen to 'Enter Sandman' forever.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Cincinnati rock radio blows ... - Devils Advocate - 02-12-2016, 02:26 PM