Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black History Month: An Alternative
Quote:You started out great... admitted to having black privilege. which is wonderful, and if more blacks admitted to having black privilege, then we can have a real honest discussion about race.  You do mention a very good point of what privilege is and how it can mean different things to different people.  The problem with that is, when you have a definition of a word and I have a similar but slightly different definition of that same word, then it creates confusion.  To say we all have privileges, but you have more privileges is to simplistic and not very well argued.  Different people from different background face different challenges.  To lump all white people as privilege is to ignore their own struggles, which some have struggled more than some black people that they have met.

To first bold, I know it causes confusion, and that's my point. "Privilege" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone when arguing about white privilege which is why I stated my definition of it. Secondly, I don't think it's a matter of simplicity, I think it's a matter of agreements and disagreements. As I've already stated I could write paragraphs after paragraphs on this subject but I don't really care to.

To the second bold, could you please point me to the point in my post where I said or inferred that white people don't struggle? Cause I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that white people don't have perfect lives.

Quote:Sorry, but Jayden Smith and even daddy Will Smith has not struggled nearly as much as the majority of white people in this country.  The video I posted has shown black success stories even before the end of slavery.  If you think the children of those blacks "suffered" and didn't enjoy more privileges than the whites around them, then you are either deceitful or not very bright.

Then you go into "blacksplaining".

What point are you making here exactly? You're acting like I said black people always struggle or something. And blacksplaining? Not sure what that means but okay.

Quote:You fall for the "oppression" in America. 

I don't fall for anything. I don't think I'm being oppressed. White privilege and oppression are two entirely seperate issues.

Quote:Have you ever seen the treatment white kids that dress like Goths get?  Ever here them called freaks? Emo? Funny when blacks talk about the way people dress they always mention the "Thug" outfit, without realizing that a white person who wears his pants sagging and tank tops is also called a thug and also ridiculed.  It isn't just a race thing, but don't let that stop blacks from making out about them.  There are also many other types of styles and each and everyone gets criticized and mocked. 

You're missing the point. A black person doesn't have to dress like a "thug" to be singled out as a "thug". That was the whole point I was trying to get at...... You're right, everyone does get harassed, but a lot of black people are singled out for being black regardless of how they dress and it happens more to them than it does to white people.

Quote:Then as black man, you know how often a white man is harassed and you know it is way less than what a black man is. That line might work with Dino, Fred and Patty (all naive, all sheltered and stunted mentally) but it doesn't work with me.  Since you have no idea what it is like being white in this country, just like I wouldn't have a clue what it is like being black in this country.  Just like I don't allow Fred to control arguments, I won't allow you to control the experiences that you cannot possibly know anything about. 

If you don't have a clue what it's like being black in this country then why are you even arguing with me? You just basically voided you're entire argument about blacks. Obviously I see more value in your ability to think than you do in mine. You don't have to be of a particular race to get a general idea of how the world works.

Quote:You can go onto youtube and run a search of black on white violence, and you will see plenty of white people being harassed and attacked for being white.  I witnessed this before the internet was a thing, to some it is "news" to me it has been happening for a long time.  I have witnessed black cops forcibly arrest white people and have even had ex police officers admit that they target and profile white people.  I have yet to have a single one admit that they do this with blacks.

Yep, you're right, I can go on youtube and watch such videos and there are black officers that profile whites, don't really see your point. And good grief..... you haven't had a single officer admit to you they do that with blacks..... as if that's supposed to prove something.

Quote:Oh no, you were called "******"? (mods only using the same he is using, if the word breaks a rule, remove from both or our post or request both of us to remove).  Let's see, Cracker, whitebread, honkey, beach boy, blowfish, cabbage, cancer, cocksauce and so many other slurs and names that I have been called by blacks.  But hey, you were called a name, so that is important.  Those slurs directed at are nothing and don't even rate on the same level, why?  Privilege.

It is important, just as much as you being called those things is important. The problem here is that you want to diminish these words because you don't really care, but these words are a problem because they perpetuated certain ideas about race. I never said white people don't get called names, but the idea behind black people being N words has a deeper problem too it. Of course they don't rate on the same level because they don't even mean the same thing.

Quote:So simply put, you have not stated 1 thing that a white person in this country can also experience.  Have you ever had to stand up in front of a college class and have the white, female, teacher make you state your privilege for the amusement of other whites?  That happens in our colleges today, with black, female, professors making white kids stand up to go over their privileges while the black kids in class smirk and laugh and joke.  The black kids are excluded from these exercises though.

Well, no I have. The point I was making was that all the things black people experience are to a more severe extent. Obviously you will disagree with that. And no I haven't had to do that, but I don't see how that makes blacks more privileged.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Black History Month: An Alternative - Matt_Crimson - 02-13-2016, 10:13 PM